Steps Toward Discipleship
REMAIN IN MEBe holy for I am holy!
Motivated Ministers to Lifelong Disciple Makers
- To sustain a lifestyle of increasing Christlikeness and spiritual reproduction
- Build and maintain the character, obedience, faith, and fruitfulness described throughout the New Testament.
- Provide ongoing accountability relationships for love, support and continued spiritual growth.
- Deploy in service or leadership.
- Continues to lead or serve in ministry according to spiritual giftedness.
- Trains disciples and emerging leaders for spiritual growth and ministry.
Completely yielded to Christ, willing to follow Him at all cost.
- Sustains ongoing accountability relationships with a mentor of other Christian leaders.
- Lifelong growth in more advanced habits and character.
- Focus on training others in spiritual growth, personal ministry, and leadership.
Transformative IndicatorsBy the end of this phase a disciple:
Continues multiplying disciples of Christ and reproducing faith in others
- A disciple-maker prays for unbelievers to come to faith. John 17:20
- A disciple-maker seeks to make disciples throughout the entire world. Luke 24:47
- A disciple-maker recruits apprentices. Acts 12:25
- A disciple-maker does what he/she can to continue discipling new converts. Acts 14:21
- A disciple-maker prays for the spiritual growth of his/her disciples. 2 Corinthians 13:7-9
- A disciple-maker works hard. 2 Timothy 2:6
- A disciple-maker leader provides organization and leadership for the church. Titus 1:5
- A disciple-maker elder oversees and shepherds his flock voluntarily and eagerly. 1 Peter 5:2
Consistently evaluates personal growth (dies daily to self, crucified with Christ)
- A disciple does not hold an inflated view of their abilities. Romans 12:3
- A disciple sometimes examines their actions to see that they are true believers. 2 Corinthians 13:5
- A disciple-maker pursues a holy life. 1 Timothy 6:11
- A disciple-maker does not depart from the Biblical basics. 2 Timothy 3:14-15
- A disciple presses on to maturity. Hebrews 6:1
- A disciple is "hot" for Jesus. Revelation 3:15
Lives a surrendered life - fully submitted to the Lordship of Christ
- A disciple-maker lives a holy life so his/her disciples can follow his/her example. John 17:19
- A disciple-maker glorifies God by obediently following even to death. John 21:19
- A disciple-maker rejoices in their suffering for Christ. Acts 16:25
- A disciple-maker sacrifices his/her physical and emotional desires, actions and will to God. Romans 12:11
- A disciple-maker does not lose heart (when fruit is not immediately seen). 2 Corinthians 4:1
Actively teaches and shares the word of God with others (training others to train others)
- A disciple-maker makes disciples who are saved and who are taught to obey all that Jesus taught His disciples. Matthew 28:19-20
- A disciple-maker shares the gospel, starting where he/she is and expands his/her witness to the entire world. Acts 1:8
- A disciple-maker (with leading gifts) delegates responsibilities to other qualified leaders. Acts 6:2-3
- A disciple-making church sends disciple-makers to multiply disciple making in surrounding regions. Acts 8:14
- A disciple-maker accurately evaluates the faith of a disciple and deals with him/her accordingly. Acts 14:9-10
- A disciple abstains from behavior that would be culturally abhorrent to non-Christians they are seeking to reach. Acts 15:20, 16:3
- A disciple-maker equips and teaches disciples to improve their teaching. Acts 18:26
- A disciple-maker intentionally strives with God's power to bring disciples to maturity in Christ. Colossians 1:28-29
- A disciple-maker reminds disciples of the Christian basics. 2 Timothy 2:14
- A disciple-making elder is an example to the flock. 1 Peter 5:3
Sacrificially meets the needs of others and teaches others to do the same
- A disciple-maker feeds (shepherds, teaches, and equips) other disciples. John 21:15
- A disciple-maker gives whatever they can to benefit those who ask. Acts 3:6
- A disciple-maker asks Christians to support him/her financially if in full time ministry. Romans 15:24
- Disciple-making churches give to needy Christians. Romans 15:26
- A disciple-making church provides financially for Godly, devoted, deserted widows. 1 Timothy 5:3-13
Defends the faith and knows, believes, and shares doctrinal truth with others.
- A disciple uses God's power to release others from spiritual bondage (has authority over demons). Mark 3:14
- A disciple-maker (with leading gifts) focuses on discerning God's will through prayer and proclaiming God's word. Acts 6:4
- A disciple-maker sometimes directly confronts those who oppose Christ. Acts 13:10
- A disciple-maker preaches God's truth even when it is divisive. Acts 14:2-4
- A disciple-maker, if necessary, confront believers who teach false doctrine. Acts 15:2
- A disciple-maker is proficient in apologetics. Acts 17:2-3
- A disciple is prepared to give a defense for their faith. Acts 26:6-23
- A disciple-maker refutes heresies in the church. 1 Corinthians 15:12
- A disciple-maker teaches sound doctrine to his/her disciples. 1 Timothy 4:6
- A disciple-maker defends the truth. 2 John v. 2
- A disciple-maker rebukes publicly disobedient Christian leaders. 3 John v. 10
Helps keep unity in the body and protects others in the Body of Christ.
- A disciple-maker obeys God without jealousy, not comparing his/her calling to the call of others John 21:22
- A disciple-maker seeks one-mindedness with other believers. Romans 15:5
- A disciple develops the character of agreeableness, not divisiveness. They discourage public quarrels. 1 Corinthians 1:10-11
- A disciple recognizes and respects different/complementary ministries. Galatians 2:7
- A disciple-making church accepts accusations against an elder only if there are multiple witnesses. 1 Timothy 5:19
FINISHING THE RACE:
Remaining in Christ, striving for pure holiness!