Steps Toward Discipleship
REMAIN IN MEBe holy for I am holy!
Motivated Ministers to Lifelong Disciple Makers
A disciple in this phase is sustaining all that he/she has gained as a humble servant of Christ completely sold out to Him and in love with Him. They exhibit the fruit of the Spirit and remind an observer of what Jesus must have been like. They are a leader of leaders or a trainer of other servants. They serve others constantly in a significant way, focused on their area of giftedness. They are reproducing themselves in other faithful disciples!
- To sustain a lifestyle of increasing Christlikeness and spiritual reproduction
- Build and maintain the character, obedience, faith, and fruitfulness described throughout the New Testament.
- Provide ongoing accountability relationships for love, support and continued spiritual growth.
- Deploy in service or leadership.
Lifelong, abiding in Christ for a lifetime
- Continues to lead or serve in ministry according to spiritual giftedness.
- Trains disciples and emerging leaders for spiritual growth and ministry.
Completely yielded to Christ, willing to follow Him at all cost.
- Sustains ongoing accountability relationships with a mentor of other Christian leaders.
- Lifelong growth in more advanced habits and character.
- Focus on training others in spiritual growth, personal ministry, and leadership.
Transformative IndicatorsBy the end of this phase a disciple:
Continues multiplying disciples of Christ and reproducing faith in others
- A disciple-maker prays for unbelievers to come to faith. John 17:20
- A disciple-maker seeks to make disciples throughout the entire world. Luke 24:47
- A disciple-maker recruits apprentices. Acts 12:25
- A disciple-maker does what he/she can to continue discipling new converts. Acts 14:21
- A disciple-maker prays for the spiritual growth of his/her disciples. 2 Corinthians 13:7-9
- A disciple-maker works hard. 2 Timothy 2:6
- A disciple-maker leader provides organization and leadership for the church. Titus 1:5
- A disciple-maker elder oversees and shepherds his flock voluntarily and eagerly. 1 Peter 5:2
Consistently evaluates personal growth (dies daily to self, crucified with Christ)
- A disciple does not hold an inflated view of their abilities. Romans 12:3
- A disciple sometimes examines their actions to see that they are true believers. 2 Corinthians 13:5
- A disciple-maker pursues a holy life. 1 Timothy 6:11
- A disciple-maker does not depart from the Biblical basics. 2 Timothy 3:14-15
- A disciple presses on to maturity. Hebrews 6:1
- A disciple is "hot" for Jesus. Revelation 3:15
Lives a surrendered life - fully submitted to the Lordship of Christ
- A disciple-maker lives a holy life so his/her disciples can follow his/her example. John 17:19
- A disciple-maker glorifies God by obediently following even to death. John 21:19
- A disciple-maker rejoices in their suffering for Christ. Acts 16:25
- A disciple-maker sacrifices his/her physical and emotional desires, actions and will to God. Romans 12:11
- A disciple-maker does not lose heart (when fruit is not immediately seen). 2 Corinthians 4:1
Actively teaches and shares the word of God with others (training others to train others)
- A disciple-maker makes disciples who are saved and who are taught to obey all that Jesus taught His disciples. Matthew 28:19-20
- A disciple-maker shares the gospel, starting where he/she is and expands his/her witness to the entire world. Acts 1:8
- A disciple-maker (with leading gifts) delegates responsibilities to other qualified leaders. Acts 6:2-3
- A disciple-making church sends disciple-makers to multiply disciple making in surrounding regions. Acts 8:14
- A disciple-maker accurately evaluates the faith of a disciple and deals with him/her accordingly. Acts 14:9-10
- A disciple abstains from behavior that would be culturally abhorrent to non-Christians they are seeking to reach. Acts 15:20, 16:3
- A disciple-maker equips and teaches disciples to improve their teaching. Acts 18:26
- A disciple-maker intentionally strives with God's power to bring disciples to maturity in Christ. Colossians 1:28-29
- A disciple-maker reminds disciples of the Christian basics. 2 Timothy 2:14
- A disciple-making elder is an example to the flock. 1 Peter 5:3
Sacrificially meets the needs of others and teaches others to do the same
- A disciple-maker feeds (shepherds, teaches, and equips) other disciples. John 21:15
- A disciple-maker gives whatever they can to benefit those who ask. Acts 3:6
- A disciple-maker asks Christians to support him/her financially if in full time ministry. Romans 15:24
- Disciple-making churches give to needy Christians. Romans 15:26
- A disciple-making church provides financially for Godly, devoted, deserted widows. 1 Timothy 5:3-13
Defends the faith and knows, believes, and shares doctrinal truth with others.
- A disciple uses God's power to release others from spiritual bondage (has authority over demons). Mark 3:14
- A disciple-maker (with leading gifts) focuses on discerning God's will through prayer and proclaiming God's word. Acts 6:4
- A disciple-maker sometimes directly confronts those who oppose Christ. Acts 13:10
- A disciple-maker preaches God's truth even when it is divisive. Acts 14:2-4
- A disciple-maker, if necessary, confront believers who teach false doctrine. Acts 15:2
- A disciple-maker is proficient in apologetics. Acts 17:2-3
- A disciple is prepared to give a defense for their faith. Acts 26:6-23
- A disciple-maker refutes heresies in the church. 1 Corinthians 15:12
- A disciple-maker teaches sound doctrine to his/her disciples. 1 Timothy 4:6
- A disciple-maker defends the truth. 2 John v. 2
- A disciple-maker rebukes publicly disobedient Christian leaders. 3 John v. 10
Helps keep unity in the body and protects others in the Body of Christ.
- A disciple-maker obeys God without jealousy, not comparing his/her calling to the call of others John 21:22
- A disciple-maker seeks one-mindedness with other believers. Romans 15:5
- A disciple develops the character of agreeableness, not divisiveness. They discourage public quarrels. 1 Corinthians 1:10-11
- A disciple recognizes and respects different/complementary ministries. Galatians 2:7
- A disciple-making church accepts accusations against an elder only if there are multiple witnesses. 1 Timothy 5:19
FINISHING THE RACE:
Remaining in Christ, striving for pure holiness!