2 Beloved, I pray that all may go well with you and that you may be in good health, as it goes well with your soul. 3 For cI rejoiced greatly when the brothers1 came and testified to your truth, as indeed you are walking in the truth. 4 I have no greater joy than to hear that dmy children are walking in the truth.
Support and Opposition
5 Beloved, it is a faithful thing you do in all your efforts for ethese brothers, fstrangers as they are, 6 who testified to your love before the church. You will do well to send them on their journey in a mannergworthy of God. 7 For they have gone out for the sake of hthe name,iaccepting nothing from the Gentiles. 8 Therefore we ought to support people like these, that we may be fellow workers for the truth.
9 I have written something to the church, but Diotrephes, who likes to put himself first, does not acknowledge our authority. 10 So if I come, I will bring up what he is doing, talking wicked nonsense against us. And not content with that, he refuses to welcome the brothers, and also stops those who want to and puts them out of the church.
11 Beloved, do not imitate evil but imitate good. Whoever does good is from God; whoever does evil has not seen God. 12 Demetrius has received a good testimony from everyone, and from the truth itself. We also add our testimony, and you know that our testimony is true.
13 oI had much to write to you, but I would rather not write with pen and ink. 14 I hope to see you soon, and we will talk face to face.(ESV)
15 Peace be to you. The friends greet you. Greet the friends, peach by name.
- According to others Gaius is a________ of truth! (Verse 3)
- He is ________________ of the truth. (John 16:13)
- He is _______________in the truth. (John 8:31-32)
- He is _______________ ministers of Truth! (John 13:20)
- Are you a person of truth? Would others say you are?
- It’s very __________________ to hear of disciples walking in truth.
- John encourages the ________________ of workers of truth!
- John wants to bring accountability to Diotrephes.
- Do you know anyone who likes to put themselves first?
- Do you like to be ______________ them?
- Do they make you ________________________?
- Do you find yourself embarrassed for them?
- Diotrephes is being a __________________ dictator. (Phil. 2:4-5)
- Prideful/egotistical attitude. (Proverbs 16:18, 29:23)
- Speaking lies about John and others serving God.
- _____________________ to support the ministry.
- Selfishly trying to _____________________ ministry.
- ________________ is from God, evil is not. (1 John 3:10, 4:1-12)
- Demetrius is _________________ in truth. (Duet. 19:15-21)
- John is encouraging the church to be supporters of the Truth.
Keys to Transformation!
Be Steadfast in the Truth!
Speak only Truth in Love!
Support those bearing Truth!
Answers: 1.man, 1.a.testifying, 1.b.walking, 1.c.supporting, 3.encouraging, 4.support, 6.a.around, 6.b.uncomfortable, 7.selfish, 7.c.Refusing, 7.d.destroy, 8.Good, 9.walking.