1 John 2:15-17
Do Not Love the World  Do not love the world or the things in the world. If anyone loves the world, the love of the Father is not in him.  For all that is in the world—the desires of the flesh and the desires of the eyes and pride of life(1)—is not from the Father but is from the world.  And the world is passing away along with its desires, but whoever does the will of God abides forever. Footnotes (1) 2:16 Or *None*pride in possessions ( ESV)
Part #1 Flesh or Life
1 John 2:16, Romans 8:1-17, Galatians 5:16-26
- The desires of the flesh- Anything appealing to man’s ___________ nature:(Gen. 3:6)
- Unregenerate nature blinding man of spiritual truth. (1 Cor. 2:14)
- Flesh is the nature we received in our physical birth, the Spirit is the nature we received in our second birth. (John 3:5-6)
- Trusting in Christ allows us to be partakers of the divine nature. (2 Peter 1:3-4)
- There is a battle between the flesh and the Spirit in us. (Gal. 5:17-23)
- God gave flesh certain desires which are created to be __________.
- _____________ takes natural God given gifts and perverts them.
- Hunger, Thirst, Sleep, and Intimacy aren’t evil unless the Flesh controls them then they become sinful. (Romans 1:18-32)
- Hunger is not evil but gluttony is sin. (Prov. 23:20-21)
- Thirst is not a sin but drunkenness is. (Eph. 5:18)
- Sleep is a gift from God but laziness is sin. (Titus 1:10-16)
- Intimacy is God’s gift when used as God ordains, but used wrongly, it can be immoral. (Matt. 5:27-28)
- Our flesh is ___________. (Matt. 26:41)
- Don’t get involved in the works of the flesh. (Gal. 5:19-21)
- God reveals that nothing good dwells in our old fleshly _____________. (Rom. 7:18)
- Jesus reminds us that our flesh counts for nothing. (John 6:63)
- God’s word tells us to have ______ confidence in our flesh. (Phil 3:3)
- God’s word says we should not make any provision for the flesh. (Rom. 13:14)
- God’s word reminds us to delight ourselves in __________. (Psalm 37:4)
Key to Transformation!
Walk by the Spirit and die to the Flesh!
Answers: 1. fallen, 2.good, 3.Satan, 5.weak, 7.nature, 9.no, 11.Him