A Rest for the People of God Therefore, as the Holy Spirit says, “Today, if you hear his voice, do not harden your hearts as in the rebellion, on the day of testing in the wilderness, where your fathers put me to the test and saw my works for forty years. Therefore I was provoked with that generation, and said, ‘They always go astray in their heart; they have not known my ways.’ As I swore in my wrath, ‘They shall not enter my rest.’” Take care, brothers, lest there be in any of you an evil, unbelieving heart, leading you to fall away from the living God. But exhort one another every day, as long as it is called “today,” that none of you may be hardened by the deceitfulness of sin. For we have come to share in Christ, if indeed we hold our original confidence firm to the end. As it is said, “Today, if you hear his voice, do not harden your hearts as in the rebellion.” For who were those who heard and yet rebelled? Was it not all those who left Egypt led by Moses? And with whom was he provoked for forty years? Was it not with those who sinned, whose bodies fell in the wilderness? And to whom did he swear that they would not enter his rest, but to those who were disobedient? So we see that they were unable to enter because of unbelief. ( ESV)
Hebrews 3:7-19, Psalm 95:7-11, Numbers 13:25-14:10
- Review: Hebrews 1:1-3:6
- Christ has a _________________ we must apply to our lives.
- Christ is faithful, we should be faithful also.
- Christ is the creator and worthy of ______________________.
- ______________________ cannot come if we listen to the Holy Spirit! (Heb. 3:7)
- Hardness of ____________________ keeps us from God’s ways! (Heb. 3:10)
- Hardness comes from an evil, unbelieving heart! (Heb. 3:12)
- Not getting our way/_________________! (Proverbs 16:18)
- Not getting our _______________/ selfishness! (1 Timothy 6:3-10)
- Hardness comes from ______________ and not doing! (Heb. 3:16)
- Hardness comes from the ___________________ of sin! (Heb. 3:17)
- Sin separates us from God! (Mark 9:47)
- Sin separates us from God’s will! (Rom. 6:11-23)
- Hardness comes from disobedience! (Heb. 3:18)
- Obedience is not ___________________________! (John 14:15)
- Obedience is best! (Romans 6:16)
- Hardness comes from an _____________________ heart! (Heb. 3:19)
- Not treating unbelief! (Rom. 5:1-5, 10:17)
- Treating only the ________________ of unbelief! (Gal 2:16)
Keys to transformation!
Listen to the Holy Spirit!
Act upon what the Spirit says!
Obey in faith daily!